Have you ever ridden a handcar? No? You should definitely give it a try. It’s great fun, even if your legs are heavy in the evening.
The Völklinger Hütte is a former steelwork which is now a World Heritage Site. Several films have been shot here and it is also known beyond the borders of the country.
European Cultural Park
Here in the archaeological park you can visit the tomb of the princess of Reinheim (400 BC). It is embedded in the UNESCO Biosphere Reserve Bliesgau directly on the German-French border.
The Rischbachstollen is the first and only coal visitor mine in the Saar-Lor-Lux region inside original mine tunnel. The gallery is located in St.Ingbert.
GONDWANA – The prehistorium
This is the right place if you always wanted to see a real dinosaur skeleton. In addition, prehistoric flora and fauna have been recreated here. So, don’t be surprised if a dinosaur peeps out from behind the tree.
In the region
- Vacation in Saarpfalzkreis
- The Saarschleife with a breathtaking view (about 1 hour by car)
- Biosphere house in Fischbach. On the treetop walk, you can take an exciting walk without solid forest ground under your feet. (approx. 45 minutes by car)
- In Bitch in France you will find an old citadel which can be visited with a guided tour. Website (approx. 1.5 hours by car)
- Fort Hackenberg bunker complex of the Maginot Line (France) (approx. 1 hour by car)
- Idar Oberstein (approx. 1 hour by car)
- Steinkaulenberg near Idar-Oberstein – Largest agate mine in Europe (approx. 1 hour by car)